Monday, September 25, 2006

Nationalities: Some Explanations

- Govinda Neupane

(This is my reply sent on August 15, 2006 to a Nepali scholar who resides in Tokyo. He is an expert on development policies. After reading my book, "The Nationalities Question in Nepal", he sent me an email in which he had commented on - a) theme of my research, b) cause(s) behind Khas progress - deliberate policy of state or structural factors within the system and/or historical dynamics, and c) reactive and ad-hoc set of solutions including federalism and multiple national languages, which may create confusion and complications. I have posted my reply here after minor editing. Also, I have taken out personal references.)

1. Core theme of my studies: I particularly concentrate on grassroots social transformation. For this reason, I have to work on political philosophy, structure, cultural traits and community behaviors, economic life and current affairs. "Khas vs. Janajati" (I consciously do not use the term "Janajati" for such analysis) or in reality, "Khas vs. oppressed nationalities" could be one of many sub-themes, I work on.

2. Inclusion as expansion of freedom: The entire world is moving fast towards integration. I am in favor of this process. I value freedom. Therefore, I believe that integration should be voluntary. In fact, freedom diminishes the desire for resistance and ultimately increases synergy for integration voluntarily. When I was just beginning the research for my second book, which you read, I was in the process of understanding something that could expand the scope of freedom at grassroots level - at the level of village Nepal. After going through the process of enquiry at local and national level, I realized that multiculturalism and federalism could ensure better social harmony, may provide productive political space and could expand freedom through inclusion and partnership.

3. Multiple languages: I believe that after 100 years, most probably, Nepali itself may not be a functional language, let's forget about languages of several numerically smaller nationalities. I have written on this issue in my first book - Social Development in Nepal or Samajik Bikashko Vibechana. Strategically, I am in favor of one international language and, most probably, that could be English. In this age of information and global village, it would not be helpful to mix cultural or national pride with languages. It may sound contradictory, but I am in favor of freedom in the use of languages particularly at local and regional levels. If Nepali language dies one day after completing its historic role, I will not feel bad as I, myself, am one among the participants who have been contributing voluntarily in its dying process (example includes writing this mail in English). In the same way, the other nationalities too should get the opportunity to contribute voluntarily to help their languages getting places in the history books. In the process of enquiry, I found several people feel they would be different if they could use their languages. Let them experiment with the truth. For me, this is freedom and this is their right.

4. Khas domination: Khas domination in every sphere of societal and national life has been proved beyond doubt. Khasas and their hold over state power primarily made all the differences. This was nothing casual or spontaneous. This was deliberate and systematic. I stand by my research on the issue of Khas domination as presented in my book - "The Nationalities Question in Nepal: Social Convergence and Partnership Building through Multiculturalism and Federalism" (www.neupaneg.com).

5. Creating confusion and complication: I have received many feedbacks similar to your concern. It has been widely believed that rather than solving the problem such proposals may contribute for chaos, conflicts and disintegration. Contrary to this popular belief, I have found the people intelligent and they know their destiny individually and collectively. Nobody, who is intelligent and knows where he or she should aim to reach, will bring misery for himself or herself. Yes, there could be some negative consequences for some time in some areas with some nationalities, but that may not be a general trend. I agree with you that if the issue would be over politicized, it may create problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment